BIOGRAPHICAL SYNOPSIS and CURRICULUM VITAE
Harvey W. Austin, MD
"Faces are the Theme of My life"
Dr. Harvey Austin believes that cosmetic surgery not only enhances appearance, but it reveals essence. In revealing essence a person is able to be more alive. He considers cosmetic surgery to be an aspect of Life Design.
Dr. Austin is a pioneer. He has initiated a partnership approach to patient care. He has pioneered new thinking to raise the art of cosmetic surgery to a higher level. He proposes new ideas about how cosmetic surgery can be consistent with a patient's deepest highest vision so that who they are inside will be revealed in their outer appearance thus enhancing their quality of life. He has created and published techniques to restore youthfulness to the aging mouth and lips. Through his writing, he has helped to shift public consciousness about the value of cosmetic surgery.
In 1978, he established his practice in McLean, VA, soon instituting the Austin-Weston Center for Cosmetic Surgery, the first free-standing surgical facility in the Washington DC area devoted exclusively to cosmetic surgery. It was designed to make cosmetic surgical procedures more accessible and easier, avoiding a hospital stay. He is now the senior member of a group of four surgeons and an experienced and friendly staff of 25 who support each patient during every step of the process.
His ten years of training following college included Albany Medical College of Union University; General Surgical training at The Albany Medical Center Hospital, in the Air Force and at Methodist Hospital of Dallas, and training in Plastic Surgery at Allegheny General Hospital and Western Pennsylvania Hospital. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is a member of the American Medical Association, the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, the Capital Society of Plastic Surgery and the Virginia Plastic Surgical Society. He is the author of a number of scientific articles and several chapters in plastic surgery textbooks. Interestingly, he is also a member of the International Women's Writing Guild.
Dr. Austin has made a life-long commitment to ending hunger on the planet. As part of this commitment, he is a long-time major contributor to The Hunger Project. He is a supporter of the emergence of women world-wide.
His work has been featured on national television shows, including Oprah and The Donahue Show, and in national publications, including Allure Magazine and People. He has been quoted several times in Reader's Digest.
Dr. Austin, father of nine biologic and adopted children, often refers to himself as an "artist with a medical background." He considers cosmetic surgery the highest art form. His interests also includes sculpting and drawing always faces. He is writing a book about cosmetic surgery of the face and its role in transforming lives.
Harvey W. Austin, MD ... Curriculum Vitae
Born in 1935 in Massachusetts
American Board of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Univerity of Massachusetts - 1953 - 1957 - B.S. Degree
Albany Medical College - 1957 - 1961 - M.D. Degree
Surgical Intern - Albany Medical Center Hospital - 1961 - 1962
Albany Medical Center Hospital, Albany, NY - 1962 - 1963
U.S.A.F., Lockbourne A.F.B., Ohio - 1963 - 1965
Methodist Hospital, Dallas, TX (Chief Resident) - 1965 - 1966
Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 1966 - 1967
Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA - 1967 - 1968
American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
Capitol Society of Plastic Surgery
Virginia Society of Plastic Surgery
American Medical Association
The International Women's Writing Guild
1968 - 1977 - Pittsburgh, PA - Private practice of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Chief of Plastic Surgery at St. Francis Hospital, Suburban General Hospital and St. Margaret's Hospital. On the staffs of Passavant and West Pennsylvania Hospitals.
1978 - Present - Founder and Senior Surgeon of The Austin-Weston Center for Cosmetic Surgery, McLean, Virginia. The theme of Dr. Austin's life is Faces. Focuses his practice on Cosmetic Surgery of the Face, particularly the aging face.
- University teaching appointment at Albany Medical College during residency
- Former teaching faculty at St. Francis General Hospital - Surgical Residency Training Program
- Former teaching faculty at Western Pennsylvania Hospital - Plastic Surgery Residency Training Program
- Lecturer to residents at Walter Reed Hospital and to medical students of Georgetown University
PUBLICATIONS AND APPEARANCES:
- 2000 - co-author of a requested chapter submission, "Cosmetic Surgery of the Aged Face".
- 1996 - 1998 Series of Columns about Cosmetic Surgery, Published in advertisement form in The Washingtonian Magazine, The Washington Post Magazine, Architectural Digest and Town and Country Magazine
- April, 1993 - Featured on Success Stories, CBS TV
- Late 1992 - Featured in an article about Cosmetic Surgery in the United States in Australian Women's Weekly
- October, 1992 - "Facelift Tips", The Technical Forum
- October, 1992 - Quoted extensively in "In Your Face", article by Diana McLelland, The Washingtonian Magazine
- August, 1992 - The Clinics of Plastic Surgery article was quoted extensively in Plastic Surgery Outlook Vol. 6, No. 6
- April, 1992 - Quoted in Letter to the Editor from Alfred E. Greenwald, M.D., Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 89, November 4
- April, 1992 - Featured in "The Perfect Wife", Allure Magazine
- April, 1992 - Publication, Virginia Medical Quarterly, "Cosmetic Surgery of the Aging Mouth", 118:110 - 111
- April, 1992 - Publication of chapter in Clinics of Plastic Surgery, "Rejuvenation of the Aging Mouth" Saunders
- September 1992 - The Oprah Winfrey Show
- August, 1991 - Quoted in Technical Forum
- July, 1991 - Presentation - "Rejuvenation of the Aging Mouth", International Cosmetic Surgery Meeting, Beverly Hills, California. ("Adrian Aiache Course")
- June, 1991 - Presentation - "The Corner Lift" - Ohio Valley Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- June, 1991 - Quoted in The Washingtonian Magazine
- April, 1991 - Featured in article in McLean Connection Newspaper
- April, 1991 - Phil Donahue Show
- March, 1991 - Interviewed by Joan Dorf on Maryland Cable TV
- January, 1991 - Presentation "Augmentation of the Mid-Face with RTV Silicone" - presented at the Virgin Island Conference of Plastic Surgery, Tortola, BVI
- January, 1991 - Presentation - "Rethinking the Basic Face Lift" - presented at the Virgin Island Conference of Plastic Surgery, Tortola, BVI
- December, 1990 - Presentation - Anne Arundel Dental Society, "The Importance of Lips in Cosmetic Dentistry"
- Early 1990 - Featured in article by Diane McLellan in The Windsor Magazine
- June 1990 - Publication of the leading article in the Journal of the American Medical Writers Association, "The Collaborative Model Signifies a Patient-Physician Relationship: The Pairing of Equals" Volume 5;2, June 1990
Harvey W. Austin, MD
Berlin MD 21811
Click to... Contact Harvey Austin
Back to Top